It’s highly recommended to read the whole documentation before using the theme, so take your time 😉
If you are new to WordPress, we recommend you to check these refercences before starting.
You might encounter errors when using WordPress, if you get one, don’t panic, check this out to find solutions or open a support ticket in our help desk, we would be happy to help you.
There are 2 ways to install Newsbeat: Upload a zip file via WordPress dashboard and un-zipped folder via FTP.
We also included a child theme in your downloaded package in case you want to add your customization, you don’t have to modify newsbeat directly.
What’s child theme?
A child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality and styling of another theme, called the parent theme. Child themes are the recommended way of modifying an existing theme.
Why use a child theme?
If you modify a theme directly and it is updated, then your modifications may be lost. By using a child theme you will ensure that your modifications are preserved.
How to use child theme?
Child theme inherits everything from parent theme so it’s required to have parent theme uploaded. First you upload Newsbeat theme (let’s call it parent theme) but don’t activate it, then upload child theme and activate it.
More info for child theme here.
- Apache or Nginx.
- PHP 5.6 or higher (recommended 7.0, 7.1 or higher).
- memory_limit – at least 64M or higher.
- upload_max_filesize – 16M or higher.
- post_max_size – 16M or higher
- max_execution_time – recommended 60 or higher.
- WordPress 4.7 or higher.
Common errors caused by server misconfiguration and how-to-fix can be found here.
Recommended Hosting Providers:
- Stablehost (cheap and affordable)
If you are familiar with VPS:
Install via WordPress dashboard:
- Login to WordPress Admin.
- Navigate to
Appearance -> Themes.
Add New -> Upload Theme.
- Choose File then browse to your zip theme file.
- Click Install Now and wait for few seconds.
Install via FTP/cPanel:
- Login to your FTP/cPanel.
- Upload extracted folder of Newsbeat to
- If you use child theme, repeat previous step for child theme.
- Now go back to your WordPress dashboard.
- Navigate to
Appearance -> Themes, look for Newsbeat and activate it, if you use child theme, activate child theme instead.
After activating the theme, you will be redirected to Newsbeat’s welcome page.
More info at Using Themes.
To update the theme, you can use Envato Market plugin to update your copy automatically whenever new update comes out from WordPress dashboard or manually using FTP/cPanel method.
After activating the theme, you will be asked to install recommended plugins, notices displayed near the top of admin side, something like this:
Click Begin Installing Plugins to and follow these steps:
You are not forced to install all plugins recommended by the theme, so just select and install what you want.
Keep in mind that Newsbeat uses WPBakery Page Builder (formerly Visual Composer) and WP Post Blocks to build custom home pages and generate post blocks, so if you use wish to build custom pages, make sure these plugins are installed and activated.
Here are the plugin lists with description:
From WordPress Repository:
- AMP for WordPress – Add Accelerated Mobile Pages feature to your site.
- Automatic Featured Images from YouTube / Vimeo – Auto fetch video thumbnail from YouTube/Vimeo and use as post thumbnail if no thumbnail uploaded.
- Awesome Weather Widget – Add Weather widget to your site. (note: this plugin required APP ID key so you will need to register one and add to Admin backend -> Settings -> Awesome Weather before using),
- bbPress – Add forum to your site.
- Classic Editor – Bring back old-school editor for WordPress 5+.
- Contact Form 7 – Create and add Contact form
- GDPR Cookie Consent – Make your site GDPR compliant.
- Easy Google Fonts – Define Custom Google fonts (if you can’t find your favorite combination in your presets).
- Jetpack – Bunch of awesome add-ons by WordPress.
- Lazy Load – Lazy load images to save your server bandwidth and page load times. (Standalone plugin. If you use Lazy Images from Jetpack, no need to install this plugin).
- MailChimp for WordPress – Add subscribe form to your site to increase Reader engagement.
- Markup (JSON-LD) structured in schema.org – Adding schema.org structured data markup in JSON-LD format for your site.
- Reading Time WP – This handy plugin will let you to show visitors how long it will take to read a post.
- Subtitles – Adding subtitle into your posts/pages.
- WP Custom Sidebars – Override any sidebars on your site.
- WP Flexslider – Adding Flexslider using native WordPress Gallery.
- WP My Instagram – Instagram feed for your site – no access tokens required.
- WP Term Colors – Custom Accent color for categories.
- WP Term Images – Custom Featured image for categories.
- WP User Avatars – Allow users to upload their avatar directly to you site.
- WP-PostViews – Post View Tracker for posts.
- WooCommerce – This plugin allows you to create your own online store.
- WooCommerce Quantity Increment – Add Increment buttons for single product.
- YITH WooCommerce Quick View – Quick viewing Product in popup window.
- YITH WooCommerce Wishlist – Wishlist for Woocommerce.
- Custom Product Tabs for WooCommerce – Custom Product tab for single product.
- Product Import Export for WooCommerce
Some of following plugins are specifically written for Newsbeat.
- Newsbeat Addon: Neva Ending Single Post – As its title described, infinite scroll feature for single posts. (this is an add-on plugin for Infinite Scroll module from Jetpack)
- Newsbeat Addon: Animations & Effects – Hover Effect for post thumbnails and Animation for post blocks and post bricks.
- Newsbeat – Addon: Priority Navigation – Move menu items to dropdown if they don’t fit parent width.
- Newsbeat – Addon: Social Media Networks – Social Sharing buttons for Newsbeat theme.
- Newsbeat Addon: Reading Indicator – Know how far you have scrolled down an article.
- WP Post Blocks – Show you posts in differently beautiful layouts.
- WP Post Blocks – Pro – More Beautiful blocks
- WP Real Review – Review plugin with rich snippet supported.
- WP Social Counter – Display the number of fans/subscribers/followers from your social media networks.
- WPBakery Page Builder – Build page layout simply by dragging/dropping blocks.
Note that if you prefer Elementor Page Builder over WPBakery Page Builder, just install Elementor, Newsbeat and WP Post Blocks plugin are also compatible to Elementor.
you can install manually by uploading via
Admin Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add New -> Upload Plugin
- Newsbeat – Demo Ads – Demo Ads banners for demo content (if no plugin installed, demo advertisements will be replaced with placeholders).
Theme Admin Panel
After activating the theme, you can access Newsbeat Admin Panel from the following shortcuts on admin sidebar:
- Welcome – A brief introduction about the theme, changes and improvements can also be found here.
- Demo Importer – Where you import demo content.
- Support/Docs – Quick shortcuts to access Support Forum & documentation.
- System Report – Where you check for server configuration to make sure everything match theme’s requirements.
- Settings – Where you config theme advanced functionalities.
Page & Post
Newsbeat comes with 6 templates for page:
- Fullwidth Narrow
- Left Sidebar
- Right Sidebar
and WordPress default template.
As in WordPress 5.0, new editor called Gutenberg will be merged to the core and enabled by default, you can use templates Fullwidth & Fullwidth Narrow for gutenberg pages.
All pages those used template default will inherit sidebar layout from
Customize -> General Settings -> Content -> Default Content Layout.
Contact template has 2 customizable columns allow you to insert HTML markups or shortcode via
Appearance -> Customize -> Template Settings -> Page Templates -> Contact.
The following screenshot diagram (took from demo Trendi) uses Contact Form 7 shortcode for right column and HTML content for left column.
This template allows you to create a page without a sidebar.
Similar to template Fullwidth but narrower content with.
Sidebar on the left of page, and won’t be affected by Default Content Layout from Customize settings.
Sidebar on the right of page.
Use this template when creating layout with Pagebuilder to create edge-to-edge content to the page, you content won’t be wrapped inside a container (you will be guided through detailed instructions).
- Hide Page title – Applying to all templates excerpt template pagebuilder.
- No Padding top – Remove padding top for page on mobile or both mobile and desktop, applying to all template.
Here’s an example of using No Padding top when you have different blocks on the top of the page:
Example 1: Padding top should be removed for better design aesthetic.
Example 2: Padding top should be NOT removed.
- Content Layout – Change content sidebar layout individually for post, default layout will inherit your selected layout in
Post category setting page -> Single Content Layout
Customizer -> Template Settings -> Single Post -> Single Content Layout.
- No Padding top – Remove padding top for post on mobile or both mobile and desktop.
- Post Layout Template – Change post layout template individually for post, this will overwrite default setting in
Customizer -> Template Settings -> Single Postand also Category Post Layout template.
Newsbeat has 3 Menu locations, Secondary menu aka Top menu, Primary menu aka Main menu & Hidden Menu (off-canvas menu nav). You must assign your menus to theme locations to display ’em on your site.
Main Menu & Top Menu – Only available to screen sizes greater than 1000px in width.
Off-canvas menu – Available for Mobile screens and specific header layouts for desktop. The following header layout (took from demo Newspaper) supports off-canvas menu on Desktop.
You can create mega menu in Top Menu & Main menu with various layouts such as displaying posts blocks by categories or custom content.
More info on creating and assigning menus to theme locations at Menu Guide.
Detailed tutorial on creating mega menu.
Sidebars & Wigets
Newsbeat supports WP Custom Sidebars plugin, you can overwrite newsbeat’s registered sidebars easily for pages when creating/editing, this plugin also support Tags/Categories, custom post types and custom taxonomies. When you switch to other themes, you won’t lose your overwritten sidebars.
After installing and activating WP Custom Sidebars, you can start adding new sidebar by navigating to
Appearance -> Sidebars.
Here are sidebar locations registered by the theme:
- Main Sidebar
- Footer Sidebars
The number of Footer sidebars is dynamic and can be configurable in
Customize -> General Settings -> Footer -> Footer Layout. When you switch Footer Layout, the theme will automatically generate numbers of Footer sidebars as you selected.
In the above figure, you’ll see there are many layouts available with different column sizes. Every gray block indicates a sidebar. For example, the layout that blocks marked with green has 6 columns, if you choose this layout, the theme will generate 6 Footer sidebars in
Appearance -> Widgets which are equivalent to 6 columns. Similarly, the layout that blocks marked red has 2 rows, 9 sidebars.